HomeFed Corporation is a real estate development company that specializes in creating vibrant, mixed-use master-planned communities that combine innovative placemaking techniques and environmental stewardship.
Incorporated in 1988 and headquartered in Carlsbad, California, HomeFed is known for undertaking large, complex, environmentally challenging projects that require long-term investments. The company attributes its success to financial prudence, creative land planning, and a collaborative team approach with stakeholders and development partners.
Mission and Philosophy
The mission of HomeFed Corporation is to develop engaging and successful places to live, work and gather; to reach the highest industry standards in community design and conservation; and to enrich our communities by taking an active role in spirit-building programs and events.
To support our mission, the following tenets – put forward by the New Urbanism movement – are observed:
- Minimizing the use of natural resources, including land, energy and water.
- Creating communities that encourage interaction by activating the public realm.
- Creating communities that honor and include all segments of society: singles, families, multi-generational families, empty nesters and retirees.
- Embracing our responsibility for environmental stewardship and providing opportunities for residents to interact with the natural environment.
- Creating master-planned communities that meet the day-to-day social, educational, recreational and commercial needs of all segments of society.
- Maintaining high quality standards for architecture, infrastructure and community design.
- Creating a financial structure that leaves the community in good financial health when the community is completed.
- Contributing to the life of the communities where we build.
HomeFed has been able to meet these societal goals by adhering to strict business principles:
- Use our considerable capital resources to purchase undervalued land assets during optimal times in the real estate cycle.
- Identify and acquire land that is worthy of development and surrounded by employment centers, recreation, education, and cultural amenities.
- Adhere to “best practices” in community design by researching cutting-edge communities and engaging the top land planners, engineers, architects, lawyers, and environmental consultants in the world.
- Maintain high standards and expect our consultants and partners to maintain the same high standards.
- Design and develop masterplans in a way that creates good returns over the long run.
- Listen and learn from our buyers and the market.
- Maintain a prudent business philosophy with regard to administration and overhead costs.
- Conduct business transparently, in keeping with our responsibility as a publicly traded corporation. HomeFed has a level of transparency that is rare in the community development industry and valued by municipal governments, partners and homebuyers.